Friday, May 04, 2007

So you want to work for a non-profit?

I am fortune to be doing a job that I absolutely love. I work for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. People say rarely do you get the job you want right out of college, or as young as I am. Well, I always say to those people; I didn't know this is what I wanted to do. I thought to work for a non-profit you just had to accept that you were going to work for peas and carrots, meaning for not much. While, I am not a millionaire, I make better money than I did in my former career. There is tons of room for growth and development; and what I love about MDA is that you make your own career path. You develop a program and you do it well, you can really do anything. There are a lot of perks doing what I do. I can lay my head on my pillow at night and know that I made a difference in the lives of people we serve. That is better than any retirement package you can get, and we have those too!
The non-profit world is very different that the for profit world. We are relationship oriented and we love EVERYONE. I love the thrill of know the next person you shake hands with could be your next major sponsor. Innovating is my goal, and making programs that raise tons of money, and the event brings on more sponsors, is my goal. You just cannot ever let yourself get comfortable. You have to get to the point where you integrate the organization into your daily life. I am MDA's representative at all times. That isn't always easy when the guy in the Hummer H3 pulls out in front of you, but I remind myself that not only might he be the next big sponsor, BUT also I am a representative of Christ. So, it isn't always easy being able to be seen, but it is worth it when you get to hand out medical equipment to those who need it, or you get to share your faith to someone who wonders what you are reading while you sip on the latest brew at Starbucks. I must admit, it is tougher than I thought it would be. People like to get you to show you your bad side. I do have one, and I have a little bit of a temper, and I do like to go out with my friends. It is the price you pay; it is part of the job. I love it. That doesn't mean I always love my job, there are times when I hate it, or think I wish I had another job. Then I talk to one of our clients, or worse one of them passes away, and I think to myself.........what do I have to complain about? NOTHING!!!!!

Vaya Con Dios

-b

No comments: